sunnuntai 10. joulukuuta 2017

3 months / Culture shocks

It's been a damn long time since I've even thought of writing here, one thing led to another and I had just kept putting it off!
A lot of what you read here won't exactly be chronological but more an amalgamation of my experiences and opinions after three months in Finland.
In this segment I'll focus more on the cultural difference and tidbits and next time an overview of where I have been and what I've done.

In a lot of ways Finland is very different to Ireland, but not in any huge ways it's all the little things.
Here are a few I can think of off the top of my head!

-Small talk: In Ireland the vast majority of us can talk about nothing and it's normal, but Finns for the most part won't say anything that doesn't need saying. This took me some getting used to and has thought me to think a bit more before I talk, so not a bad thing. Be it in conversation or in nature most Finns enjoy a nice bit of peace and quiet.

-Coffee: No matter how early or late, whether its before or after food or if they're happy, sad, in a rush or relaxing! Offer a Finn a cup of Coffee and they'll take it. Finns from what I've seen drink more Coffee than us Irish drink tea and that's saying something.

-Shoes off: Enter any Finns abode and you'll quickly be taking your shoes off! Probably one of the most widespread differences from Ireland. Here you are expected to take your shoes of it would actually be rude not to if you're delving further into the house than the hallway. This is second nature now.

-Sauna: Oh man where do I start.
Alina was worried I might not be able to sit in the 80-90*c heat without melting but not only do I handle it but I've embraced it with both hands.
Sauna regardless of social class, gender, age or creed is an absolutely integral part of not only Finnish culture, but life.
Someones celebrating, someones sad, someones died, it's Saturday, it's cold out.
Finns will Sauna for absolutely any reason, as if they need one.
This is one difference I wish more of the world had. Oddly enough going from 80+ to -2 isn't bad, its quite a relaxing way to cool off before heading back in,
but I'll never forget the kick into the heart of adrenaline I got when I went from the Sauna to rolling in the snow!!

There are many more things that are different here than Ireland, hundreds more! But having been here for three months these were the immediate and consistent differences that I saw.

That's all for today folks thanks for reading and pop by within the next week or so for a loose recollection of where I've been and what I've done.

Peace & Love,
Gregg.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti